Wednesday 8 October 2014

Bidding goodbye to my Frankenstein countertop


When I bought my house fourteen years ago, I thought replacing the counter would be one of the first things I did.  The laminate had rotted away in places to reveal black, soggy,  plywood underneath.  To keep it from peeling up the last occupants had nailed it down, and the rusting, randomly organized nail heads lent a Frankenstein aura to the thing.

The sink was also intolerable, or so I thought.  The enamel was largely worn away and what was left got stained very easily.  More importantly, there was no way to plug the drain, so it couldn't hold water to wash the dishes.

It's amazing what you can get used to though.  As a temporary measure I covered the plywood gaps with white vinyl shelf paper, painted the rusty nail heads white, and bought a plastic dish tub to hold water in.  Fourteen years later those temporary measures are still in place.  If I squint, everything looks fine.  

But soon, I won't need to squint anymore.  I have a brand new sheet of butter yellow laminate waiting to be installed, as well as a stainless steel American Standard sink.  The handyman is coming on Tuesday.   Stay tuned for the after shots!




No comments:

Post a Comment